Skip to main content

Home: FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible for library services?

You are eligible for MHIKNET services if you are:

  • employed by Manitoba Health
  • employed by a participating Regional Health Authority in Manitoba
  • a physician with a valid Manitoba Health Billing Number

How do I register for services?

Download and fill out a Borrower Registration Form.

  1. Attach a copy of your staff identification card or proof of employment letter.
  2. Fax the application to (204) 789-3923, ATTN: MH / RHA Library Services.

What kind of services will I get?

  • Borrow our books, videos and journals
  • Request materials from other libraries
  • Literature search
  • Document Delivery / Copy Service
  • Electronic Table of Contents
  • Health Topics
  • Consumer Health
  • Training Opportunities

Which libraries am I able to use at the University of Manitoba?

Your library card entitles you to borrow from any UM Library.  You can also use the computers in the library to search our subscription databases, which you are not able to access remotely.  Remember to have your card and PIN handy.

May I borrow materials from the UM Libraries?

Yes, providing they are items which we lend.  Some materials are permanently kept in the library for quick consultation, or are only available for short term loan, such as two hours or overnight.  Books, bound journals, and audiovisual materials will be sent by mail if you select MHHL_RHAM as your pick-up location.  You can also choose to pick up materials at any UM Library. 

How do I request books or articles?

To request an article or borrow a book from the University of Manitoba Library, complete our Document Delivery Form and send it to or fax to (204) 789-3923. See Order Documents for more information.

How do I return books?

Clients in the regions

Books and audio visual resources are delivered to MHIKNET clients through the mail and include return postage. Clients are responsible for following the return instructions enclosed with borrowed materials and in ensuring that materials are returned promptly. A notice will accompany your materials indicating the due date.

Manitoba Health @ 300 Carlton

Books and audio visual resources are sent directly to client's offices and can be returned by dropping them off in your nearest mailroom with "NJM Health Sciences Library" on the mailing label. Materials will be returned by courier to the Library at no cost.

What if I want items which are not held at the UM Libraries?

We are able to provide access to research material from other libraries and institutions.  Contact us by e-mail, fax or phone with your requests.

How do I change the password for my library account?

When you're logged in to your University Library account, your name will appear in the upper right corner of the page.

  • Click on your name; a menu will come up with "My account" listed as one of the options.
  • Click on "My Account"
  • Click on 'personal details' (the last tab on the top)
  • On the personal details page there's a box on the right that says 'change password'. You should be able to  change your password there.

What is a literature search?

When you are looking for information on a specific topic, a reference librarian can search subscription databases, catalogues, and the Internet for resources that meet your needs.  Librarians can search for journal articles, books, audiovisual materials, reports, clinical trials, practice guidelines, and dissertations.
Usually the search is completed within a week or two of the request, but clinical and urgent questions will be prioritized.  The results of the search are sent to you by e-mail, mail, or fax.  You then select the items you want to consult and we'll have them sent directly to you by mail, e-mail, or fax. 

How do I ask for a literature search?

Either e-mail, phone us, or fill in an online form.  We need to know your topic, what types of materials you require, and how far back in time you want us to search. 

What do I do if I lose my library card?

Contact us immediately either by e-mail ( or telephone (1-877-789-3804).  We will issue a new card at no charge.

Can I use the online "Ask a Librarian" service offered at the UM Libraries?

Yes, you can use this generic library service.  However, to receive assistance from specialized health librarians, e-mail or call 1-877-789-3804.

Do you provide help in searching PubMed or the Internet?

Yes, we do.  You can arrange for a librarian to come to your office or facility for one-on-one sessions or for a group seminar.  We can also arrange special training session to be held at Neil John Maclean Health Sciences Library.  Just let us know what resources you are interested in and we'll customize our training to suit your needs.